Purpose of the Assessment
The purpose of this assignment is to
- test the student’s knowledge of the core concepts, models and frameworks taught in the module and relevant to the strategy process
- allow the student to apply their learning in the module to date in a case study analysis and to present their findings in a high level board manner that captures the key issues
You are required to read the case on Richard Branson and the Virgin Group and prepare a 12-14 minute board level Powerpoint presentation that addresses the following questions (support you answer in details in the Notes page of the slide):
- What common resources and capabilities link the separate Virgin companies? (30%)
- Which business if any should Branson consider divesting? What criteria should he use in deciding what new diversification strategy to pursue? (40%)
- What changes in the organisational structure and management systems of the Virgin Group would you recommend? (30%)
The case is available from the Grant e-textbook via the Online Library tab on the module’s NILE site
The percentages above indicate the weighting given to each section.
To submit your work, please go to the ‘Submit your work’ area of the Module NILE site. It is important that you submit your work to the correct module NILE site, and that your work is submitted on time.
An appointment will be made for you to deliver the presentation, either in person or via Skype.
You will be expected to read the case several times to make sure you understand the context, grasp the detail and then review the key elements using the key strategy models to go through the strategy process, drawing on evidence from the case to justify your views.
You should read the module material for the first half of the module, and the related chapters in the Grant e-textbook. Chap 13 is of particular relevance.
You can carry out further research on The Virgin Group, however you must only use material drawn from credible sources such as: academic articles and texts;; quality newspaper and business periodicals, e.g., the FT, The Economist and the official Virgin website. You should not use unreliable sources such as non-reviewed websites, e.g., Wikipedia.
This is an individual assignment. The University of Northampton policy will apply in all cases of copying, plagiarism or any other methods by which students have obtained (or attempted to obtain) an unfair advantage.
Support and guidance on assessments and academic integrity can be found from the following resources
- SkillsHub: http://skillshub.northampton.ac.uk
- CfAP: http://skillshub.northampton.ac.uk/centre-for-achievement-and-performance-cfap/
The learning outcomes being addressed through this assignment are:
Knowledge and Understanding
c) Recognise, consider and address macro-economic trends in a changing world and their impact on business whilst evaluating competitive, organisational and ethical values.
Subject Specific Skills
- e) Develop appropriate policies and strategies within a changing environment for a variety of organisations, to meet stakeholder interests.
- f) Develop and demonstrate key communication and time management skills.
- h) Demonstrate critical thinking and creativity: engage the creative processes in self and others; organise thoughts, analyse, synthesise and critically appraise alternative strategies and choices.