Public health risk assessment
Conduct a public health risk assessment for one of the following existing or emerging hazards as it affects or may affect Australia, and write a report outlining your findings: Dengue fever, XDR TB (extensively drug resistant tuberculosis), Avian influenza OR Poor air quality.
The following points should be covered in the risk assessment:
- Describe the hazard, including a brief history of the hazard in Australia, the South East Asia/South Pacific region, and globally
- Assess the impact an emergency involving this hazard may have on the Australian community (both in terms of public health and more generally)
- Identify specific community sub-groups with higher vulnerability to this hazard, if any (and justify this identification)
- Quantify the risk posed by this hazard (either in statistical terms or in comparison to other similar hazards). Justify your position on the degree of risk posed by this hazard.
- Document current emergency management measures (following the Comprehensive Approach, see Lecture 1 – Prevention, preparation, response and recovery)
- Critically appraise the limitations of current emergency management measures, including identification of potential alternative or additional measures, if appropriate.
- Use each point as a sub heading (Brief introduction and conclusion)
Word count: 800 words
- Minimum of FIVE
- APA style