The purpose of this assignment is to determine the constantly changing nature of organised criminal groups and the impact they currently have on political, social and economic development.
Students are expected to write a report on the modus operandi and the present impact, at national and/or international level, of one organized criminal group (traditional or non traditional/emerging) in a particular country of the world. Topics might include mafia organisations in Italy, as well as organised criminal groups in the UK, China, Japan, Russia, Nigeria, Mexico, Albania etc.
Each student will be expected to use a range of sources which should include academic works, reports and recent media articles that analyse specific criminal events related to the modus operandi and the present impact of the selected group in that particular country. Your work must be typed, referenced and presented with a bibliography of the sources you used.
What is an Academic Report?
Report writing is an essential skill for professionals.
A report aims to inform, as clearly and succinctly as possible.
Below you can find some general guidelines.
A report is similar to an essay in that both need:
• formal style
• introduction, body and conclusion
• analytical thinking
• careful proof-reading and neat presentation
A report differs from an essay in that a report:
• presents information, not an argument
• is meant to be scanned quickly by the reader
• uses headings and sub-headings
• uses short, concise paragraphs
• uses graphics wherever possible (tables, graphs, illustrations)
• may need an abstract (sometimes called an executive summary)
• does not always need references and bibliography
• is often followed by appendices
A report should generally include the following sections.
• Title page
• Might include list of abbreviations and/or glossary
• Might include appendices