Imagine that you have been appointed as the international strategic brand manager for an automobile manufacturing company of your choice. Your company have assigned you to analyse and assess their integrated marketing communications (IMC) mix strategies for the UK market and recommend future actions.
The report has to cover the following areas:
Literature review: You are expected to conduct an extensive review of academic literature on segmentation, positioning and branding strategies and integrated marketing communication mix.
Market environment review: You are required to provide a brief review of the UK market of your chosen product/brand. As part of the review you have to identify and analyse the key competitors and market trends that may have significant influence on your strategic decisions.
Company strategies: You are now required to analyse the IMC strategies of your chosen organisation in light of the theories and research findings discussed in the literature review and address the following issues:
- Target audience: Analyse the target segments in terms of the behaviour, attitude and lifestyle.
- Brand positioning: identify and discuss the choice of brand/concept which is being promoted with reference to competitive positioning and differential appeal.
- Media selection and communication mix management: Identify and assess the media and IMC tools used by your chosen organisation.
Your own recommendations: You have to explain how your chosen organisation can make their IMC strategies more effective and competitive.
- The assignment should not exceed 3000 words and should be presented in report format, not as an essay. You are allowed to include any reasonable amount of supporting material in an Appendix.
- Your analysis of the practical issues should be linked with relevant theories and research findings discussed in the literature review.
- You should draw upon your personal research done at the library, through the Internet and the recommended reading and material covered throughout the module. Please reference carefully all your research sources.
- You are asked to use only secondary research for this assignment. You are encouraged to be innovative in your quest for answers, by using images, advertisement examples etc.
- You are encouraged to make full use of GMID – Global Market Information Database, ABI/Inform, FAME and other databases which are available as Electronic Resources by the Brunel Library.
- Please adopt a critical but constructive view supported by factual information, not just personal opinions. If quoting other people’s work, please use the accepted form of academic referencing (Harvard style referencing).
- Report format (don’t forget: table of content, executive summary, references and appendices)
Standard introduction and conclusion are also expected.
You will be assessed on:
- How critically you present the literature review and market review.
- The depth and relevancy of your arguments.
- Your analytical skills.
- Your objectivity in identifying problems and limitations.
- Your presentation style.
Try to be analytical rather than descriptive
Avoid using direct quotation
Try to analyse and interpret by more recent articles/texts.
Do not use the references from sources which are not peer reviewed
Literature review should revolve around the three major components required for the company strategies.
There has to be evidence of academic reading.
Use of reference materials
The reference material used to refer to the company (market review) should be recent (2-3 years or less) and not old.
Other literature used can be from any year.
1. Table of Contents (with page numbers)*
2. Executive Summary (Max of a page of brief description of the report)
4. Literature Review (models/theories/framework to support your analysis and previous studies to support your argument)
5. Market environment analysis (UK market only)
6. 7.Critical Analysis and Discussion (The company strategies have to be analysed and discussed in light of relevant theories and research findings discussed in the literature review)
8. Conclusion (8 & 9 can be combined under one heading)
9. References (bibliography; sources used in the assignment)
10. Appendix (only relevant, succinct material)
* Don’t forget to number your pages and don’t forget to spell check your entire assignment.
** Please reference your sources carefully using the Harvard Referencing System.
*** You can customise /adapt these headings to suit your individual needs. The following do not count towards the word limit: e-cover page, table of contents, executive summary, reference list (i.e. bibliography) and the appendix. Introduction, market and literature review, critical analysis and discussion, conclusion and recommendations do count towards the word limit.